Who is Darren Smith? Fairfax Music Teacher Arrested on S*x Charges Found Dead

Darren Smith, 55, an employee with the Mill Valley Unified School District who was arrested on child s*x charges, has been found dead, the Marin County Sheriff’s Office has announced.

Smith’s lifeless body was drawn out of the ocean on Wednesday, May 1st, 2024, a day after he was arrested.

He had apparently gone out to sea on a surfboard and never returned.

Smith was arrested and charged with Lewd and Lascivious Acts with a Child, and Continuous S*xual Abuse of a Child on April 30th, 2024.

The arrest stemmed from a mandated cross-report to the Sheriff’s Office by the Mill Valley Unified School District on March 28th, 2024.

When the district became aware of the allegations, they contacted the Sheriff’s Office and placed Smith on administrative leave.

After a thorough investigation of the allegations, including forensic interviews and evaluation of evidence, detectives developed probable cause to arrest Smith. He was booked into the Marin County Jail and was released on a $200,000 bail.

A day after his release, Smith went out to surf and never returned.

“On Wednesday May 01, 2024, at approximately 2:36 PM it was reported to 9-1-1 a surfer was possibly washed out to sea within the Point Reyes National Seashore at Drakes Beach. Reportedly the subject was last seen at approximately 10:00 AM and a surfboard, later determined to belong to the subject washed ashore at Drakes Beach at approximately 1:00 PM,” the MCSO said in a May 2nd press release.

“Multiple first responder agencies including the Point Reyes National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service); United States Coast Guard (USCG); Marin County Fire Department; Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office Helicopter Henry-One; Marin County Sheriff’s Office Deputies and Marin County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue (SAR) Team were dispatched to the area a began an exhaustive search by land and sea for the subject.

“At approximately 5:33 PM a lifeless body was located floating in the ocean waters approximately 2.5 miles northwest of the Drakes Beach Parking area. The subject was recovered by U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter and was unconscious, unresponsive, and exhibited signs of physiologic death.

“At 5:35 PM his death was pronounced without resuscitative aid provided and he was transported via air to an alternate location so his death investigation could be begun,”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *